Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maximum Guard Bug?
Upon your request Cef, I posted it here. Just copying and pasting.

I was facing the last gym with a regular Arceus. Arceus has a default
ability called "Maximum Guard". This ability states "The Pokemon's
stats can not be decreased by enemy moves." So why does a Mewtwo with
Mist decrease the stats of the Arceus. The move Mist states "Reset
stat changes of both Target's and User's pokemon." So how does that
move affect an Arceus? I am fairly certain it is a bug. The only way
to beat that mewtwo with a Legendary is to have its stats unable to be
reduced so you can have all +5 on stats so you can damage more than
its regen. The regen insanely high because it has 500% increased
health and 250% increased stats because it is on the last gym. A
response would be great.
I think the ability means the stats cannot be reduced below 0 this means the e.g defense stat cannot be reduced to -1 but yeah it can be reseted back to 0 ........at least i think so Rolleyes
(2015-06-18, 08:20 AM)Atharvaa898 Wrote: I think the ability means the stats cannot be reduced below 0 this means the e.g defense stat cannot be reduced to -1 but yeah it can be reseted back to 0 ........at least i think so Rolleyes

Except for the fact that it states stats can not be reduced. Not can not be reduced below 0. In game design, clarity is key. So if something is not functioning like it is written then either the clarity was botched or a bug exists. So thats why this thread is here since I emailed him and asked him if it was a bug and he told me to post it here.
(2015-06-18, 09:46 AM)Xerith Wrote:
(2015-06-18, 08:20 AM)Atharvaa898 Wrote: I think the ability means the stats cannot be reduced below 0 this means the e.g defense stat cannot be reduced to -1 but yeah it can be reseted back to 0 ........at least i think so Rolleyes

Except for the fact that it states stats can not be reduced. Not can not be reduced below 0. In game design, clarity is key. So if something is not functioning like it is written then either the clarity was botched or a bug exists. So thats why this thread is here since I emailed him and asked him if it was a bug and he told me to post it here.

lol ok Smile
i will wait till expert players of the games comment on this

also it is not impossible there are already players who got badges after 1 June badge reset Big Grin
(2015-06-18, 11:23 AM)CeFurkan Wrote: i will wait till expert players of the games comment on this

also it is not impossible there are already players who got badges after 1 June badge reset Big Grin
Do you mean i am not a expert ....the shame Sad
there is no bug in max guard ability
stats reset and stat decrease are two different things

max guard says enemy moves cannot decrease stats like if u hve +5 sp attack it cannot be reduced but it can be reset with moves like miracle eye , mist etc.

To beat mew2 u can use sableye foul play and its easily beatable
(2015-06-18, 08:11 PM)kunwarkharbanda Wrote: there is no bug in max guard ability

max guard says enemy moves cannot decrease stats like if u hve +5 sp attack it cannot be reduced but it can be reset with moves like miracle eye , mist etc.

If you go from +5 sp atk to +0 it has been reduced. If anything changes to a lower stat then it has been reduced. I can see Reset affecting it, if it turned my -5 sp atk to 0. Since that is technically an increase. But no matter what you want to call it +5 to 0 is a decrease by definition. Plus only one pokemon can beat the last gym? The staple of pokemon games is strategic diversity, and choice diversity. If only one can beat it then that is another issue.
(2015-06-19, 08:12 AM)Xerith Wrote:
(2015-06-18, 08:11 PM)kunwarkharbanda Wrote: there is no bug in max guard ability

If you go from +5 sp atk to +0 it has been reduced. If anything changes to a lower stat then it has been reduced. I can see Reset affecting it, if it turned my -5 sp atk to 0. Since that is technically an increase. But no matter what you want to call it +5 to 0 is a decrease by definition. Plus only one pokemon can beat the last gym? The staple of pokemon games is strategic diversity, and choice diversity. If only one can beat it then that is another issue.

In a way yes stats get increase or decrease by mist etc

but if u read move definition it says reset stats not increaseor decrease

in definition of max guard ability it is written it prevents decreasing  of stats which means move which decrease stats like -2 stages etc.

These are different words max guard does no describe it prevents reset.

But in a way it mist does decrease on  increase stats
That's what i said earlier but in a different way though Big Grin
Yeah there should be no controversy here/ max guard prevents stat decreasing moves from working but stat reset moves are completely different. they don't decrease stats, but they reset the stats after they've been boosted. and that is not, by definition the decreasing of stats since they were already increased. It is in fact, just resetting.
[Image: tyranitar_in_dragon_form_by_black_wing24-d47c29u.jpg]

Beat me? Ha, when Tyranitars fly...

~ch17175